En La Mosca is fully stocked with fly fishing rods, reels, leaders and flies.
You will have the opportunity to use the finest rods and reels from Orvis. Helios and Access rods are what I recommend and use and you are welcome to use them. You do not have to bring a stripping basket as I have one built into the bow and the stern for your use. If you are bringing your own equipment I recommend the following.
FLY FISHING EQUIPMENT:
Fly Fishing San Diego Bay
- 6 weight fly rod with 250-grain shooting head primary setup.
- 6 weight fly rod with intermediate line for shallow water.
- 7 weight fly rod with 350-grain shooting head for deeper water.
- 6-8# test leaders of 6-8 feet in length.
- Various Clouser style or surf flies in sizes 2, 4, and 6 in numerous colors. (I will provide all you need.)
Fly Fishing Point Loma Kelp Beds
- 7 weight fly rod with 350-grain shooting head.
- 9 weight fly rod with 450-grain shooting head.
- 10-20# test leaders of 6-8 feet in length.
- Various Clousers or Deceivers in sizes 1/0, 2/0, and 3/0 in numerous colors. (I will provide all you need.)
En La Mosca has numerous spinning outfits for both the bay and the kelp beds. You are welcome to use my equipment or you can bring your own. Here is what I recommend:
Spin Fishing San Diego Bay
- 6 foot spinning rod in 6-12# test range.
- 6-10# test line.
- 1/4 and 3/8 ounce lead heads.
- 3-4 inch Berkeley Gulp in various shrimp colors and ghost shrimp.
- 4 inch curly tail grubs of your choice in numerous colors.
Spin Fishing Point Loma Kelp Beds
- 6 1/2 foot Spinning rods in the 10-20# test range.
- 10-16# test line
- 3/8 -1/2 ounce lead heads
- 4-5 inch plastics in various styles and colors.
- Even though San Diego has a mild climate you need to be prepared for some cool temperatures early in the morning and wind as the day progresses. My recommendation is to always dress in layers:
- Wide brim hat, particularly if you are fly fishing.
- Protective eye wear if you are fly fishing (I have an unlucky story about this for you!)
- Polarized sunglasses
- Wind breaker or light jacket
- Fleece or lined under jacket/sweat shirt/sweater
- Long pants or shorts depending on weather
- Running or deck shoes (sandals not recommended)
Copyright 2017 En La Mosca Adventures.